Begin at the very beginning, a very good place to start
I would imagine that if you are reading this, you probably already know who I am, but just in case you don't, I will begin this post with a little bit about who I am and the purpose of this blog. My name is Melissa Widrick and I am going to Guatemala for six months with the intention of serving the Lord by teaching English at a Christian school that is part of Inn Ministries in San Cristóbal, Alta Verapaz. I have started this web journal with the purpose of keeping those who are interested informed of my endeavors. I expect that this journal will include photos, descriptions of daily life and the people I meet, news about what’s happening in Inn Ministries, and reflections on what the Lord will be teaching me.
I would like to start this post by thanking all of you who are supporting me as I go to Guatemala. I am so thankful to know that so many people from my church families in Oswego and Adams are praying for me, in addition to all the support I have from my family and friends. I also want to thank you again for all the generous financial donations that make this opportunity possible for me. I pray that the Lord will bless you as you have blessed me. It is a wonderful thing to see how the Lord can provide above and beyond what I have asked for.
This week I am working on tying up some loose ends in preparation for my trip. I am so thankful for Chris Mansfield offering to take me to pick me up from my flight from Syracuse and let me spend the night at her place before taking me to JFK for the flight to Guatemala. There was a problem with me being able to find connecting flights, but this is worked out now, thanks to Chris’ generous hospitality.
I also want to thank Pastor Loren and Lynn Widrick for letting me keep my car on their property while I’m gone. This is a great help to me since it can’t be stored at my parents’ place.
I will be flying to Newark (where Chris will meet me) on Saturday afternoon (the 15th), then I will spend the weekend with her and she will take me to JFK on Monday morning to make my flight at 8am. I will arrive in Guatemala in the afternoon, meeting others from Inn Ministries at the airport and we will be taken to San Cristóbal, which I believe is a four-hour drive from the airport.
For those of you who may be new to “blogging,” you can leave me a little message by clicking on “Comment” below, then click on "Post a comment" and then click on "Or post anonymously". Please do include your first name and last initial so I will know who you are. When you have finished writing your comment, you will click on "Publish your comment."
I am not sure how frequently I will be able to post, but I am hoping to have an update posted at least once a week.
4 Comments:
You are going to rock that nation, Mel! I love you! AND, I always write snail mail to overseas people, so be sure to post (or email us/me) your mail address, ok? Love you,
T
Mel...it is negative six here today...you left just in time.
Are you there yet? Are you there yet? Can we stop for a milkshake, Dad?
Mel arrived in Guatemala and phoned around 10 last night to say so. If you want here snail mail you can e-mail her at her hotmail account. That is all.
Post a Comment
<< Home