Melissa Widrick: Missionary Teacher in Guatemala

Saturday, February 26, 2005

Thanks and Praise

This week we got some more good news concerning the water situation. There is an organization called Living Waters which helps dig wells in areas of need. Inn Ministries had put in an application to receive assistance from them several months ago but we had not heard anything from them and our directors had assumed that we wouldn't be receiving any help from them. But recently Paul West contacted Living Waters and found that not only did we qualify for assistance, but that a couple from Canada has offered funding to dig a well for us here at the Inn. We could have a good well in as soon as two weeks. This is exciting news because even though we have recently aquired a tank to have water delivered from the town to our campus, we still have a serious lack of water for bathing and washing, since it is the dry season. It has not rained for about a month.

In other news, I had a scary moment in class the other day. I was teaching in the first grade room when I heard a loud popping noise and glass shattering. One of the windows had gotten hit by a ball from gym class and glass sprayed all over the room. After ducking and screaming, I checked to make sure all the kids were okay. Thankfully, no one was seriously hurt. One little boy had a tiny cut near his eye from a shard of glass. It is amazing that none of the children got glass in their eyes. I thank God for this.

Well, last week was my week to cook lunches at the house. I was a little worried about meal planning for nine people, but all went well. A couple weeks ago one of the missionaries here was joking with some of us single ladies that we all want to get married but none of us want to cook. Apparently cooking is a prerequisite to matrimony. Well, I made it successfully through the week, so look out world, cause now I can get married. I am sure any day now the suitors will be lining up at my door. I don't mind cooking but all the planning is a hassle. Thanks to the fact that I have eight housemates, I won't have to do this again for another two months. We had a group from Wisner, Louisiana, here to help us this week. Some of the ladies helped me with my classes a couple days. They were a big help and the kids really enjoyed them.

5 Comments:

At 6:21 PM, Blogger solomonrex said...

Thanks for writing Mel. Sorry I haven't visited more often.

I wish I could help with the well. I've dug a mean ditch in my backyard, so I think I know my way around a spade, a pickaxe and a shovel. I pray for you often. I hope things are going well and that it rains soon.

Remember, women are supposed to be good at planning things. ;)

 
At 6:21 PM, Blogger solomonrex said...

Thanks for writing Mel. Sorry I haven't visited more often.

I wish I could help with the well. I've dug a mean ditch in my backyard, so I think I know my way around a spade, a pickaxe and a shovel. I pray for you often. I hope things are going well and that it rains soon.

Remember, women are supposed to be good at planning things. ;)

 
At 6:21 PM, Blogger solomonrex said...

Thanks for writing Mel. Sorry I haven't visited more often.

I wish I could help with the well. I've dug a mean ditch in my backyard, so I think I know my way around a spade, a pickaxe and a shovel. I pray for you often. I hope things are going well and that it rains soon.

Remember, women are supposed to be good at planning things. ;)

 
At 6:24 PM, Blogger solomonrex said...

Uh, Mel. I had some technical difficulties. It's not my fault. But hey, I really thanked you this time!!!

 
At 8:50 PM, Blogger Mel said...

hey, no problem, it makes my website look more popular, cause there's so many comments.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home