Melissa Widrick: Missionary Teacher in Guatemala

Sunday, February 26, 2006

¡Conéctate! Ministry Fair

Last week we had a ministry fair at church. Each ministry had a booth with information about what they do, and a person to answer questions. There were about 25 different ministry areas represented. Pastor Mike has been preaching about how we need to be more involved as a congregation in order to reach more people, because the ministry can't expand if only the leadership is reaching out. So the ministry fair was a way to help everyone get more involved. Every person had a sign up sheet to choose the top three ministries that they would be interested in joining. The goal was that each person would try at least one new ministry area, with a year long commitment.

It was an exciting night, a lot of people participated and I think it will really expand involvement throughout the congregation. I listed a couple new ministry areas that I would be interested in joining. We'll see if they need me or not in those areas. It's funny, I saw a lady from church in town the other day, her name is Loyda, and she said, "Melissa, I see that you're going to be in the Intercessory Prayer group!" I was a little confused, because I did not write that as one of my choices on my sign-up sheet. But it did get me thinking, maybe that is something I would like to do. When I first asked about it, I thought it might conflict with another commitment that I have. So I'll keep you posted about whether I join that group or not.

Speaking of prayer, tomorrow is a day of prayer and fasting for our bible study group. We have decided to fast the last Monday of the month and then break the fast together with a meal during our bible study. I'm excited about that. I think that this year our group is really pressing in more. We have a few more people coming before, and the Lord is doing new things in us. It's encouraging, because last year the majority of the group was just us single missionaries. I think it helps that we're meeting in someone's home now, so it's easier for some people to come because it's not so far away.

The church construction is coming along pretty well, they painted the walls and put in some of the trim and they're building the stage. They still haven't gotten the doors and windows. This is a big hassle because we can't leave any of the instruments and sound equipement in there, so they have to put it in storage and carry it across the property every time we have a service and then store it again afterwards. I'm looking forward to when they're finished because we haven't been able to have devotional services with the older kids because the workers are in the church.

There's still no progress on our well. The last time we saw the workers was a couple weeks agao. It hasn't been raining either. So keep that in your prayers! Also, this week the primary classes have a field trip on Tuesday. They will be having a field day at a nearby campground, so pray for their safety and that all would have a fun time. Next weekend I'm going with the other missionaries on our staff to Intermissions, a conference for missionaries in Guatemala. I'm really looking forward to that. It will be a nice break and hopefully a refreshing time to be with other people and the Lord.

1 Comments:

At 9:01 PM, Blogger solomonrex said...

That's too bad about the hassle. I'll be praying for you needs.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home