Melissa Widrick: Missionary Teacher in Guatemala

Tuesday, February 07, 2006


Here's a photo of Tina, who is new to our ministry staff this year. She came with the vision of doing sports ministry and in addition to helping set up a sports club program she is helping with our English classes. Here she is singing and dancing with her fifth graders. She brings a lot of enthusiasm to her work! We love having her here.

Below the photo of Tina is Susy, another one of my housemates, teaching the students in the accounting track. This is one of the new classrooms they made in our old church building.

Today I started teaching a reading class to my diversificado class (which is basically the first year of high school). This week they changed the schedule so I could teach them all at once, instead of dividing them into three sections. We had an English department meeting last week and discussed the progress of the program, and decided to do a literature based course with the Diversificado, since they have had so many years of the traditional English as a foreign language course. I think that doing more reading will help our students become more fluent. Our ultimate goal is that when students graduate from the program they would have enough english proficiency to help them get into a university in the United States. I am really excited about it, I am currently looking for different material to use in class as we will not have a text book. Right now we are starting with some simple biography stories about missionaries, called "Hero Tales."

Here's a picture of me the night of the church inauguration. They are still working on the finishing touches of the construction.

Yesterday I went to our young adult bible study. We started doing The Purpose Driven Life, and it was encouraging to hear people share about their own experiences, finding God's purpose in their lives. I think this is going to be a good year for us as a group- we have a few more people coming now and we're going to fast and then have a meal together once a month. I think that will bring us closer to the Lord and each other.

Lately I have been playing guitar and singing out on our porch at night. It's been great to look up at the stars and sing to the Lord. It is a really refreshing time at the end of the day, a great time to commune with Jesus. I was really stressed out last week and the week before and I realized that I need to spend more time singing to the Lord, not just at church, but on my own. I just read the book "Captivating" by John and Stasi Eldredge, and it reminded me that I need to cultivate my love relationship with the Lord through worship. By the way, I HIGHLY recommend this book, for all women to read, and anyone who wants to understand women better. You may have heard of "Wild at heart," which was written about men, and this is the same author, writing with his wife about a woman's heart and how we are formed in God's image. I can't really do it justice with a simple summary, all I can say, is read this book! The Lord has really used it to confirm some things that he had been showing me lately, and to reveal new things to me.

Well, for those of you who are praying, we are still waiting for our well to be finished. Actually, they really have hardly started it all. Some of you may know that they started drilling the well about a year ago. Since then it has been nothing but equipment failures interspersed with long periods where we do not see the workers at all. The well rig has been on our property, inactive, the entire time. Someone donated the money last year and there's not much we can do to move it along faster since the organization that handles it has already paid the drilling company. So all we can do is pray, pray, pray, because dry season is coming again. There were some workers here off and on the last few weeks, but we have seen very little progress.

1 Comments:

At 8:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Mel - Thanks for the update. I'm going to check out that book - I could certainly use help in understanding women :-) Rene

 

Post a Comment

<< Home